Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe
For The Next Seven Generations
Week Long Activities
Healthy Indoor Air in Mohawk Homes
Week long activities for Bugs, Mold & Rot Awareness Week
- If you find mold, there's moisture; get rid of both. Fix plumbing leaks and seepage. Check gutters and downspots to make sure they're not clogged and allowing rainwater to pool next to the foundation of the house. Correct drainage problems around the foundation.
- Clean mold off of bathroom walls, around shower and tub, under the sink. Look for mold in the kitchen--under the sink, on kitchen walls. Look for mold in the basement- -on walls, around windows. Use 1 cup of chloringe bleach in 1 gallon of water to disinfect. Dry quickly and thoroughly.
- Clean and disinfect humidifiers, dehumidifiers, refrigerator drip pans and air conditioning coils. Use 1 cup of chloringe bleach in 1 gallon of water to disinfect. Dry thoroughly.
- If someone in your house is allergic to dust mites, wash bedding in hot water (130 F). Wipe down hard surfaces with a damp cloth or mop to pick up dust. Vacuum fabric furnishings with a HEPA vacuum.
- If someone in your home is allergic to pets, find a place for the pet to sleep that is not in the bedroom of the person with the allergy. Vacuum the house with a HEPA vacuum.
- Change the furnace filters.
- Run the bathroom exhaust fan while taking baths and showers.
Run the kitchen rangehood exhaust fan while cooking.
Exhaust the clothes dryer to the outside.